River North: Historic Pubs
Eat, drink and discover Chicago’s West Loop and River North neighborhoods on our Chicago beer tour via the Brown Line! Join us on our Chicago city tour for a combination of great Chicago stories and adult beverages as we tour a number of historic sites and legendary pubs in the city’s Near North Side.
We’ll kick off our Chicago walking tour with an awesome burger at Small Cheval in the West Loop, then head to the Merchandise Mart where we’ll board the Brown Line to River North.
In River North, we’ll start our Chicago beer tour by visiting the Green Door Tavern, the oldest pub in Chicago, which sits above a well-hidden, authentic Prohibition-era speakeasy. Next, we stop by Brehon Pub with a fascinating story involving bribery and the Chicago media.
We’ll then board the train again make our way back to the Loop where we’ll have “last call” at historic, antique-filled Monk’s Pub.
Adult with Alcohol Ticket includes food at two stops + 3 alcoholic beverages (with a choice of beer or cocktail) at each pub stop during our Chicago walking tour.
Adult Nonalcoholic Ticket includes food at two stops + a choice of water or soft drink at each pub stop during our Chicago walking tour.
Want to get more insight into the history of this district before taking our Chicago beer tour? Learn more about River North in our Chicago neighborhood guide.
- West Loop
- River North
- Full hamburger
- Bar snack
- Three drinks are included with alcohol package purchase
- Choice of beer or cocktail at each pub stop
- Nonalcoholic option available
Book River North: Historic Pubs
Duration: 3 hours
Extra time built in for train travel
Price: Adult $50 | Adult with Alcohol $100
- Days of operation: Last Friday of the month
- Start time: 4:30pm
- Chicago beer tour begin and end in the Loop (See below)
- Walking distance: 1.6 miles
- Chicago beer tour price includes food, beverages and transit fees
- Tours operate rain or shine
- Tour itinerary may be subject to minor revisions as necessary
Ticket Purchase Requirements
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Tour requires minimum of 2 guests to run - single bookings subject to cancellation if minimum is not met
- Must be 21 and older
- Please bring valid form of ID
Tour Meeting Point and Stops
Meeting Point: Small Cheval
(Meet inside restaurant)
150 N Riverside Plaza, Chicago, IL 60606
Start strong with a full-size burger
Green Door Tavern
678 N Orleans St, Chicago, IL 60654
After a brief train ride departing from the Merchandise Mart, you'll enjoy a beverage and a peek into a hidden speakeasy at this historic Chicago pub
731 N Wells St #1, Chicago, IL 60654
An adult beverage, a snack and a fascinating Chicago story await you
205 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 60606
End the tour with a final drink in this long-standing bar filled with German and Old English antiques