Prairie Ave District: Street of the Elite
Tour runs Saturdays. Book now!
This extraordinary tour of the Prairie Ave District is one not to be missed.
Get a sense for how Chicago’s wealthiest residents lived around the turn of the century and what remains today. This unique Chicago tour begins with an exploration of one of the city’s newly-revitalized spaces: The stunning Chicago Athletic Association Hotel (12 S. Michigan Ave.) You’ll meet your guide in the hotel lobby.
A short ride on the Green Line takes us to the Prairie Ave District, home to many historic sites such as Motor Row, the former Chess Records and the oldest house in the city. As we wander along Prairie Ave, we’re treated to historic mansions and a beautiful park. The highlights of the tour, however, are TWO private, docent-led mini tours at the national landmark Second Presbyterian Church (with its many Tiffany windows) and the Glessner House. We’ll also take a mid-tour break at a local employee-owned/woman-owned cafe. Then we board the train back to the Loop for our final stop (and a sweet treat) at the elegant Palmer House Hotel.
Book Prairie Ave District: Street of the Elite
Duration: 4 hours
Extra time built in for train travel
Price: Adult $75
- Tour price includes transit fees, church donation & museum entrance fees - food/beverages purchased by guests
- Days of operation: Saturday
- Start time: 10:00am
- Tours begin and end in the Loop
- Walking distance: 1.6 miles
- Tours operate rain or shine
- Tours begin at scheduled start time - late arrivals may miss all or part of the tour
- Tour itinerary may be subject to minor revisions as necessary
Ticket Purchase Requirements
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Tour requires minimum of 2 guests to run
- Tickets are required for all guests
- Children must be 12 years or older and accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older) - Tickets for children are not discounted
Tour Meeting Point and Stops
Meeting Point: Chicago Athletic Association Hotel
12 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60603
Meet your guide in the lobby and take a quick tour of this former "athletic club turned hotel"
Second Presbyterian Church
1936 S Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616
On an exclusive docent-led mini tour, learn about the architecture of this beautiful historic landmark
Glessner House Museum
1800 S Prairie Ave, Chicago, IL 60616
Take another docent-led mini tour through one of the last Prairie District mansions of early Chicago
Spoke & Bird
205 E 18th Street Chicago, IL 60616
Enjoy a snack at this unique employee-owned, woman-owned cafe (purchase optional)
Palmer House Hotel
17 E Monroe, Chicago, IL, 60603
Explore the beautiful interior of this famous hotel and end with a sweet treat (purchase optional)